This work is a reflection of Ostrovsky’s personal drama.
The prototype of Katerina and the first performer of this role was Lyubov Pavlovna Kositskaya, an actress with whom the playwright had a difficult personal relationship as she was married, and he also had a family.
In reading of Katerina as a character director Vladimir Tumanov follows the playwright. Ostrovsky was not looking for the way out of that desperate situation for his heroine, that way simply did not exist. However, it does not mean that love and beauty has no power for saving the world. All the years after the play was written, many directors continued to search for the main meaning of this inner drama of Katerina, of the nature of her strong character and whole soul.
Running time 3 h. 15 min. including interval
- Director - Vladimir Tumanov
- Costume Designer - Stephaniya Graurogkaite
- Sound - Alexander Zakrzhevsky
- Set Designer - Semion Pastukh
- Lighting Designer - Ghidal Shugaev
- Vocal Coach - Viktor Volna